KLINGMANN SECURES FIRST SUPER TROFEO WIN AT NORISRING [UPDATE: VIDEO]
Lamborghini München Team Holzer’s Jens Klingmann won round four of the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo series at the Norisring, Germany, today. Klingmann started from pole position but was chased hard throughout by Lamborghini Racing Eastern Europe’s Jarek Janiš, who charged from eighth on the grid.
The start was postponed until 19:45 (CET) after heavy rain during the afternoon, and even then the track remained wet off the racing line. Klingmann eased away into a commanding lead from Bonaldi Motorsport’s Eugenio Amos, while a
four-way battle for third place erupted between Achim Winter, Janiš, Claudio Rossetto and Albert von Thurn und Taxis.
As all four entered the second hairpin, Janiš managed to get to the front of the group for third place. He then passed Amos for second before reeling in Klingmann’s lead, but was unable to get within striking distance by the chequered flag.
From the back of the grid, Arjen van de Zwaan drove a strong opening stint in the slippery conditions, placing his Schoolmaster Super Trofeo race car as high as fourth before the cars began their driver changes. Team Automobili Lamborghini’s Giorgio Sanna, who started 13th, was the last to pit and briefly took the lead while Klingmann entered the pits for his mandatory stop.
Fabio Babini took over the #22 Petri Corse Super Trofeo from Rossetto in fifth place and made a determined push for the podium, pressuring Johannes Stuck into a spin, which cost him two places. However, Babini was unable to catch third-placed Davide Amaduzzi, who was building on team-mate Amos’ strong opening stint.
In the final laps Janiš pushed harder, closing the gap between himself and the leader, but Klingmann remained just out of reach and took the win.
Lamborghini’s President and CEO, Stephan Winkelmann, said “We’ve made a great discovery today with a young driver who has won after his first time in the race car. It has been proven that the Super Trofeo is a very fast
high-performance car, without compromising its drivability, and we’re very proud of that achievement.
“We’ve had extremely positive feedback on the series; the atmosphere at the track over the past two days has been fantastic and I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s races.”
Round five of the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo series will be held tomorrow, 28 June 2009, at 08:40 (CET).
Round four results
1. Klingmann (#66), Lamborghini München Team Holzer, 40:16.968
2. Janiš (#77), Lamborghini Racing Eastern Europe, +06.666
3. Amos/Amaduzzi (#69), Bonaldi Motorsport, +38.643
4. Babini/Rossetto (#22), Petri Corse, +47.997
5. Götz/Winter (#9), Lamborghini München Team Holzer, +48.639
6. von Thurn und Taxis/Stuck (#1), Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A, +52.294
7. Frei/Cochet (#11), Autovitesse, + 1 lap
8. Sanna/Westerhoff (#2), Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A, + 1 lap
9. C. Leimer/H. Leimer (#63), Autovitesse, + 2 laps
10. Bassetti/Venica (#6), Petri Corse, + 2 laps
11. Hayek/Kox (#24), Reiter Engineering, + 3 laps
12. Dijkstra/van de Zwaan (#16), Schoolmaster, + 9 laps
13. Bellini (#3), Bonaldi Motorsport, +12 laps
Source: Lamborghini Super Trofeo